Climbing Module Game/Action Idea
We are just finishing up our climbing module. I taught 4 skills:
1) Figure 8 follow through (For tying into a harness)
2) Water Knot (for webbing)
3) Hasty Harness (swamy Seat)
4) Wrap 3/Pull 2 Anchor (Using webbing)
For the Action I created a simple relay that helped them to practice/test the skills. Here are the directions I gave them. Sorry i didn’t take any pics. If you have questions post below.
- Line up by height
- Count of by 6 and form 6 teams
- Select a team leader
- When the relay begins send a runner to the station in front of you, blindly select one piece of paper, and execute the skill written on the paper.
- The skill will be one of the following: Figure 8, water knot, hasty harness, wrap the pull two anchor
- Not all of you may know or remember how to tie each knot, anchor or harness. Some are easier than others.
- You may need to strategize who will do what.
- You do not have to attempt it. You can simply turn around and tag your next team mate
- You are allowed to teach and practice behind the line but no assistance when the skill is being executed.
- When you believe you have completed it, show it to the judge
- You are done when all the skills have been executed properly
- Fastest time wins
- 2 minutes to strategize